AIP/STAV Conference 2011
2011 Physics Teachers Conference was held on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th February at Monash University, Clayton VICTORIA
The Program included
- An opening address on 'Exploring student difficulties with mechanics and electricity' by Prof Dick Gunstone, Monash University accompanied by Pam Mulhall of the University of Melbourne and Brian McKittrick,
- A Physics Oration on 'The Physics of the Large Hadron Collider' by Prof Geoffrey Taylor, University of Melbourne,
- Five sessions of 50 workshops in the day and evening program on the Friday.
- Extensive display of texts and equipment.
- Saturday Tour of the Australian Synchrotron,the Soundhouse and the Victorian Space Science Education Centre.
The 'Victorian Young Physicists' Tournament' and the 'AIP Physics Photo and Video Clip Contests' were promoted at the conference. For details go the "Events".
The Education Committee's programs: 'AIP Support for New Teachers: In-Services and Mentor Scheme' and the 'AIP Travelling Scholarship' were also promoted. For information go to "News"
A spreadsheet of the grade points for the years 1999- 2012. The grade point is the raw score cut off for a particular grade. The cumulative percentage of candidates is also included alongside the raw score. The table also has the mean and standard deviation for each exam and the number of candidates obtaining 100% for most exams.
by Bruce Walsh, the Chief Assessor. Distributed at the 2011 Physics Teachers Conference.
The PowerPoint presentation by Bruce Walsh, the Chief Assessor.
Workshops on specific Areas of Study: Material can be downloaded from the page for the Study. Click on link
- A3: Applying Physics to Patient Care by Chris Fox, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. Medical Physics
- B6: The Smarties model for Electric Circuits by Dr Christina Hart. Electricity
- B7: Prac Ideas in Sound by Kelvin Barraclough, Gisborne Secondary College. Sound
- B12: Teaching the Detailed Study - Further Electronics by Dr Murray Anderson, Camberwell Grammar School. Further Electronics
- C7: Flight and the Use of Wind Tunnels by Dr Murray Anderson, Camberwell Grammar School and Peter Cheung, Nagle College. Flight
- C12: Practical Activities for Light by Helen Lye, ACER, Dan O'Keeffe, AIP Education Committee. Unit 2 Light
- C13: Practical Activities for Photonics by Craig Anderson and Mark McPherson, Leongatha Secondary College Photonics
Material from the workshop by Pam Mulhall, University of Melbourne at the 2011 Physics Teachers Conference.
A pdf file from the workshop presented by Prof Bunsen Science
A pdf file from the workshop presented by Justin Vincent from Warrnambool College
The pptx presentation by Bruce Carpenter, Bendigo Senior Secondary College
Material (pdf) from the presentation by Phil Jones, The Logical Interface.
The brochure for the StudyON product by John Wiley & Sons
List of topics from the VCE Physics Areas of Study in Units 1 and 2 for the StudyON product by John Wiley & Sons.
Samples: The first 10 minutes of the presentation.
Audio files of the full presentation.