VicPhys/STAV Conference 2018
2018 Physics Teachers Conference, Friday 16th February at La Trobe University, Bundoora VICTORIA
The Program included:
- The Opening address by Andrew Hansen, the Chief Assessor, on the 2017 Physics Exam
- Small Group discussions evaluating strategies for addressing poorly done exam questions
- A VCAA Update Summary by Maria James, Science Manager
- A keynote address on Black holes and merging neutron stars: frontiers in gravitational-wave astronomy by Dr Eric Thrane, Monash University
- Three sessions of workshops
- Extensive display of texts and equipment.
- A Saturday program of excursion tasters and a medical physics in-service. You select one or more to attend. A two hour medical in-service at Peter Mac is also available. See details below
Online registration was available at STAV.
* Directions to Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and Excursion Tasters
11:00am Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre: 305 Grattan St, Melbourne. Please be in the foyer of the hospital 5-10 minutes before the starting time. Glenn Trainor will be meet you there and escort the group up to the seminar room. You can bring a camera if you wish. Note: You need to either have registered for this session as part of the conference registration, or to have booked through Vicphysics with subject: Peter Mac Booking.
There are excursion tasters to the Australian Synchrotron, Victorian Space Science Education Centre. Check the program for details and times.
9:00am Synchrotron Taster: 800 Blackburn Rd, Clayton. See map below for directions. The following documents will be useful, particularly the safety rules in regard to footwear.
2:00pm. Victorian Space Science Education Centre: 400 Pascoe Vale Rd, Strathmore. Ph 9379 3456.
The opening to the conference included a rolling powerpoint of events and activities for students and teachers organised by the Vicphysics Teachers' Network, see below. The events and activities include:
- Girls in Physics Breakfasts
- Full Exam Report by Chief Assessor with Live Streaming
- The Physics Photo, Video Clip and Poster Competition contests
- Physics Days at Luna Park
- Support for New Teachers: In-Service and Mentor Scheme
- Lab Tech Workshop
Opening Address: Does the new exam structure change the way students respond? Chief Assessor, Andrew Hansen
Keynote Address: Dr Eric Thrane 'Black holes and gravitational waves'. A link to his powerpoint presentation. It is a large file at 167 MB.
Small Group Discussions on Teaching strategies and exam techniques for poorly done exam questions focussing on i) Connected bodies, ii) Projectile motion, iii) Energy and energy transfer and iv) the Photoelectric Effect.
The material available includes:
- Resources covering Key Principles, Misconceptions, Exam question that was poorly done, Teaching strategies, Exam Techniques and Discussion questions for each of the four topics mentioned above.
- Compilations of the reports for the following topics: The Photoelectric Effect, Connected Bodies and progress report on Energy and Energy Transfer. Report on Projectile Motion will follow shortly.
Keynote Address by Dr Eric Thrane from Monash University on 'Black holes and merging neutron stars: fronyiers in gravitational wave astronomy'. File available soon.