Girls in Physics Breakfasts in 2022
Girls in Physics Breakfasts are re-commencing. Five events have now been planned and others are being organised.
There will be an events at Monash University on Thursday, 19th May, Bendigo on Wednesday, 1st June, Warrnambool on Thursday, 14th July, central Melbourne on Thursday, 28th July and Mildura on Friday, 19th August. Other events are being planned for Geelong, Wodonga and Gippsland. These are likely to be held in Term 3.
At the breakfast students from Years 10 to 12 share a table with two or three women who are either in a career in physics or engineering, or are at university as an undergraduate or a postgraduate. The students have a chance to ask questions about their careers and what study at university is like. Students are seated with students from other schools.
At each breakfast there is an address by a prominent scientist, who talks about her area of interest at a level appropriate for the audience. The flyers below are to promote the events to your students.
Below are the details of the events that have so far been planned for 2022.
Times: The Breakfasts start at 7:30am and finish about 10:00am.
Schools can book by either of two methods, either by
- credit card through Trybooking or
- by bank transfer with an invoice.
The table below shows the fee structure.
|Category||By Credit card through Trybooking||By Bank Transfer with an invoice|
|First Teacher||No Charge||No Charge|
|Second Teacher||$15 / $5*||$25 / $15*|
|per Student||$15 / $5*||$25 / $15*|
* A discount is available for schools with a low ICSEA rank. Discounts can be applied for by emailing Vicphysics with subject ‘Breakfast discount’.
Max number of students per school: To enable more schools to participate, there was an initial maximum of six (6) students per school. For regional events up to 12 students can be accommodated.
The Breakfasts start at 7:30am and finish about 10:00am.
There is a 45 min talk, starting about 8:20am followed by questions. After this there are two activities on Careers in STEM i) Quiz and Job Roles Analysis and ii) Case Studies analysis. A Q&A with a panel of guests rounds out the event.
Events and Bookings
- 19th May, Monash University Speaker: Dr Amanda Karakas, Monash University Topic: Stars as chemical element factories Flyer. To book by credit card through Trybooking click here. To book by bank transfer with an invoice, enter the details here. Closing date: Wednesday, 11th May.
- TBA Bendigo Speaker: Dr Semonti Bhattacharyya, Monash University Topic: Tinkering with atoms to build electronic devices for the future. This event has been postponed to early Term 3. More details shortly.
- 14th July, Warrnambool Speaker: Prof Frances Separovic AO Topic: Flyer. To book by credit card through Trybooking click here. To book by bank transfer with an invoice, enter the details here. Closing date: Friday, 24th June.
- 28th July, William Angliss Institute, 555 La Trobe St, Melbourne Speaker: A/Prof Katarina Miljkovic, the AIP Women in Physics lecturer for 2022 Topic: Impacts! Rocks from space colliding with planets. Flyer. To book by credit card through Trybooking click here. To book by bank transfer with an invoice, enter the details here. Closing date: Friday, 15th July.
- 19th August, Mildura Speaker: Dr Judy Hart Topic: Developing New Materials for Renewable Energy Flyer. To book by credit card through Trybooking click here. To book by bank transfer with an invoice, enter the details here. Closing date: Friday, 5th August.
Promoting the event to your students
The Flyer for each breakfast has two pages, one with basic information of date, speaker, topic, venue, etc. The other page has information about the speaker and her topic.
Interested in being a guest at one or more breakfasts?
If you are a woman studying physics or engineering or working in these fields and would like to participate in this event, share a table with secondary students and meet with other women in your field, please contact Vicphysics or go here to enter your details on line. There is no cost.
Interested in being a speaker at one of the breakfasts?
Vicphysics is seeking speakers for breakfasts in 2023.
If you would like to be a speaker, click here for more details and the expression of interest form.
Sponsors and Supporters
The Girls in Physics Breakfasts are organised by the Vicphysics Teachers’ Network and supported by funding from Bank Australia, the Laby Foundation and the Victorian Branch of the Australian Institute of Physics. The program is also supported by the Royal Society of Victoria.