Workshops for Lab Techs on Years 7 - 10 Physics
9:30am - 3:30pm, Monday, 14th September, 2020
Camberwell Grammar School
Purpose: To enhance the skills and confidence of laboratory technicians in supporting the physics aspects of the Years 7 - 10 Science Curriculum. The focus is on the resources commonly found in schools.
The 2020 program is likely to be cancelled. Because of the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, the event is unlikely to proceed. Last year's program included workshops on:
- Learning new skills: i) Using and repairing multimeters, ii) Setting up a CRO for demonstrations, iii) Using a Ruhmkorff coil for high voltage demonstrations.
- The Van de Graaff Generator: Their care and feeding with Harvey Edwards from Principles and Practice.The frustration and hate of maintaining a VDG is fairly universal among Labies. Either you can seek help from a professional councellor or join in this workshop that will give you all the hints on how to service and maintain them with a minimum of hair pulling and swearing. 1 hour)
- Good data in a digital world with Mike Cahill from Ciderhouse. Hints, tips, tricks and techniques that help you, teachers and students make the most of the digital data acquisition available to schools. The workshop will include some experiments, chat through tips, maintenance, calibration and analyse some data to help you support the use of this equipment. The session will use PASCO gear but is intended for support of all equipment and particular notes will be made of options available from other suppliers. ( 1 hour)
- Safe handling of ionising radiation and storage of radioactive sources ( 45 mins)
- Laboratory management hints and lab tour ( 45 mins)
- What is that old equipment in the back cupboard and is it of any use? (30 mins)
Cost: $60. Lunch is provided. A copy of the LTAV's Physics Reference Manual is available at a discounted price of $20.
To book: Bookings will be made through Trybooking. A credit card is required. If the school does not have a credit card, it is recommended that you seek permission of your school to use your own credit card and be reimbursed by the school. Vicphysics can supply a receipt, if one is needed, although the Trybooking receipt should suffice.
The sessions will be conducted by Dan O'Keeffe, Gary Cohen and Peter Furlong from the Vicphysics Teachers' Network, Svetlana Marchouba from Camberwell Grammar School, Mike Cahill from Ciderhouse and Harvey Edwards from Principles and Practice.
Information for Participants
This is the information provided to the participants to previous event. Updated versions for this year's event will be posted after bookings close.
This event is organised by Camberwell Grammar School and the Vicphysics Teachers' Network
For more details email Vicphysics