Victorian Physics Teachers’ Conference – 24th Feb
The Vicphysics Teachers’ Network presented PHYSCON 2023 with the support of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Swinburne University of Technology. PHYSCON 2023 was at the Hawthorn campus on Burwood Rd and online on Friday, 24th February. Check below for late registration and access to videos of the conference sessions.
Resources from the Round Table Activities on designing Units 3 & 4 Assessment Tasks for 2024
The following documents were prepared by Vicphysics to assist the design task:
These are the completed templates done by the teachers in the discussion groups. They now total 47 in number. There are examples in all Areas of Study for each of the four Assessment Tasks A – D. They should be a very valuable asset. Thank you to all who contributed. They are available in Word and as a pdf.
Video of and resources from the workshops and presentations are available to conference participants. If you were not able to attend the conference, access to these resources is available through a cheaper post-conference registration, see details below.
The conference featured:
- live-streamed keynote addresses with Prof Alan Duffy, Swinburne University on ‘Astronomy at the Frontier’ and Dr Suzie Sheehy, University of Melbourne (see below for more details).
- 3 sessions of workshops in person and online,
- Access to exhibitors,
- Round table activities on course planning of Units 3 & 4 for 2024, (See below for resources)
- Networking lunch,
- VCAA update by Maria James, Science Manager,
- Review of the Nov 2022 exam by the Chief Assessor, Andrew Hansen,
- Laboratory tours of cutting-edge facilities and visits to the Virtual Reality theatre,
- Saturday Excursion Tasters to the Australian Synchrotron and VSSEC and a Peter MacCallum Medical Physics In-Service.
Conference Landing Page
Click here for information about the workshops offered and the various ways to interact with the exhibitors.
To download the program click here.
Post- Conference Registration Fees
- Non-subscribers: $135
- Individual Vicphysics Subscribers: $85
- Student and Retiree Subscribers: $65
- School Vicphysics subscribers: $125
To subscribe click here.
Prof Alan Duffy, Director, Space Technology and Industry Institute, Swinburne University of Technology
Bio: As Director of the Space Technology and Institute at Swinburne, I seek to solve challenges for communities and companies here on Earth by using space, from across the University’s domains of excellence in aerospace engineering, data science / AI, astrophysics, and material science. When not aiding businesses on Earth, I create simulated universes on supercomputers to understand how galaxies like our Milky Way form within vast clouds of dark matter.
Abstract: In this talk, Alan will explore the frontiers of astronomy with the latest results from CAS’s areas of research
Dr Suzie Sheehy. Senior Lecturer in Accelerator Physics at the University of Melbourne and visiting lecturer at the University of Oxford.
Bio: Her research focuses on developing new particle accelerators for future applications with a focus on medicine.
This conference was presented by Vicphysics Teachers’ Network and hosted by Swinburne University of Technology.