Vicphysics Consultation Forum on the Proposed VCE Physics Study Design
The Vicphysics Teachers’ Network held an online discussion of the proposed Physics Study Design on Tuesday, 29th June 2021.
To register click here.
Structure of the Forum:
The forum used breakout rooms throughout.
- 10:00 Options and key knowledge applications versus context and Socio-scientific Area of Study. What is achieved by proposed changes? What is lost? Alternatives? Is a separate socio-economic area of study of value? (45 min)
- 11:00 Key Knowledge Content and Key Skill changes: Moving Light as a Wave into Unit 2, Relativity as an area of study in Unit 4, changes to skills (45 min)
- 12:00 Assessment: Increase in range of tasks for Units 1 & 2, reduction of range of tasks for Units 3 & 4, change in weighting (30 minutes). Groups focus on either Units 1 & 2 or Units 3 & 4.
- 1:30 Critique of / Feedback on key knowledge curriculum elements in all four Units. Appropriateness? Correctness? (45 min) Groups focus on either Units 1 & 2 or Units 3 & 4.
- 2:30 Critique of/feedback on selected elements of Characteristics of Study, Cross-study skills, Terms used in Study (45 min)
The document to guide discussion in each of these sessions is available here, Forum discussion questions. It may assist you in responding to the draft study design.
The draft of the proposed VCE Physics Study Design is available on VCAA’s website . The document is located at the bottom of the page. There is the draft itself (50 pages) and a 9 page summary.
There is also a link to a questionnaire, which closes on Tuesday, 3rd August.
A pdf copy of the questionnaire is available here, Questionnaire. The questionnaire is comprehensive and extensive (35 pages). It may be easier to read the pdf, think about the questions and prepare your responses in your own time and then paste them into the online questionnaire.
The documents can also be downloaded here, Consultation Draft and Summary of proposed changes.