A Professional Development Opportunity: A Forces and motion intensive module for Science teachers of Years 7 – 10
- Are you teaching Science in Years 7 to 10 and finding the physics challenging?
- Are you out of your field of expertise?
This Forces and motion intensive module steps you through the key concepts and skills required to successfully teach the relevant Year 7 – 10 curriculum content.
Scope: This project offers out-of-field teachers an opportunity to engage deeply with curriculum by stepping them through the vertical conceptual development of the relevant key knowledge and skills in the curriculum and by explicitly working through appropriate interactive learning activities, enabling teachers to experience the content both as students and teachers.
Program: Six two-hour workshops on Forces and Motion, presented by experienced science teacher, Jane Coyle, starting on Thursday, 21st July, running weekly until Thursday, 25th August at Kew High School from 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
- Deepen your conceptual understanding of key force and motion ideas.
- Engage in key hands-on practical activities that you can directly deploy in your classroom.
- Unpack typical student misconceptions and learn best practice pedagogy for combatting them.
- Improve your ability to differentiate curriculum and assess student achievement.
- Access materials to support your classroom practice prepared by experienced teachers and science
education academics associated with the Vicphysics Teachers’ Network.
- Become part of a network of like-minded teachers that are striving to improve their practice
Cost: $240 per participant, with discounts available for teachers from schools with a low ICSEA rank.
Ultimately there will be five topics proposed, four relevant to science teachers at the 7 – 10 level: forces and motion, electric circuits, light and sound, sources of electricity; and one for VCE Physics teachers: special relativity.
Forces and Motion is offered now, with others either in Term 4 or in 2023. One of the Level 7 – 10 courses will be offered per term. The VCE Physics topic anticipates an increased prominence of Special Relativity in the new VCE Physics Study design and will be offered in term 4 in 2022 and term 2 in 2023. In 2022 the project will be offered in metropolitan Melbourne and in 2023 in a regional centre.
To book: Click here. A credit card is preferred, but the system can generate an invoice for payment by EFT if the school does not have a credit card and will not reimburse a personal credit card.
Click here for the Forces and Motion flyer.
This event is organised by the Vicphysics Teachers’ Network and is supported by the Strategic Partnerships Program of the Department of Education and Training.
For more details email Vicphysics